Prove Canadian Citizenship by Descent
Were you born outside of Canada to a Canadian citizen and need proof of citizenship to get your passport? You need a first Canadian Citizenship Certificate. Citizenship certificates are not issued automatically to Canadian citizens abroad. And registering your Canadian child’s birth abroad also does not automatically result in a Canadian Citizenship Certificate. You or your parent must apply for one.
- Canadian Citizenship Certificate
- Application reviewed for accuracy and to ensure you qualify, filed with IRCC
- Supervision by a Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC)
Get Proof of Citizenship
Prove Your Canadian Citizenship.
We’ll review your application for accuracy and completeness and file it with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
We’ve filed over 500 Citizenship Certificate Replacements, Amendments and first time applications over the last decade.
Follow the simple 6-step process to get your First Citizenship Certificate
Download the first citizenship certificate application
Fully complete the order form and application forms included in the pdf.
Please be sure to provide your telephone number and email address where we can reach you.
Email or fax in your application
Scan and email all forms and all applicable documents in the included document checklist to our office for review at email@example.com, or you can fax them to us 416-640-2650.
We Will Contact You
Immigroup will contact you within 1-2 business days regarding your first citizenship certificate application.
Please contact our office at 1-866-760-2623 to confirm we have received your order if you have not been contacted after 2 business days.
Provide Original Documents
After we have reviewed your application forms and the documents you provided by fax or email, we will contact you to send the original forms and copies of documents to our office by mail at 57 Westchester Drive, London, Ontario, N6G 2K6 Please send by Xpresspost. (If you would prefer to send by courier, please call us at 1-866-760-2623 for instructions.)
Receive your First Citizenship Certificate
Immigroup will contact you when your first citizenship certificate is ready. If you live in Toronto, you can come to our office to pick your certificate. If you live outside Toronto, we will confirm the address and shipping method you would like to have your certificate sent by, before we sent it to you.
Apply for Your Canadian Passport
Once you have your Canadian Citizenship Certificate, you will be able to apply for your Canadian Passport, which gives you visa-free entry to 170 countries.
Timeline: How long does it take for a first citizenship certifcate?
A Citizenship Certificate application normally takes about six months top process.
However, if you can demonstrate to IRCC that you must travel urgently, or you can establish that you will not be able to work for a living without your citizenship certificate, you may be able to get your certificate sooner than 6 months.
Why You Need Proof of Canadian Citizenship
(formerly Citizenship Card)
What You Cannot Use Your Citizenship Certificate for
- Your Canadian Citizenship Certificate is usable for travel. You cannot use it to travel to Canada without a visa or eTA. You will need a Canadian passport for that.
- Your Citizenship Certificate is not proof of your citizenship outside of Canada. You cannot use it prove your Canadian citizenship in another country. Again, you need a passport for that.
What You Can Use Your Citizenship Certificate for
- In order to get a Canadian Passport, you need to provide a citizenship certificate if you were not born in Canada. The certificate is the only acceptable proof of citizenship for Canadian citizens not born in Canada.
- If you plan to work in Canada, you need your Citizenship Certificate to work in any jobs that are only available to Canadian citizens (some government jobs).
- You need your Citizenship Certificate to vote in municipal, provincial and federal elections, if you plan to settle in Canada. (However, ex-pat voting is currently restricted.)
- If you settle in Canada, you will need your Citizenship Certificate to get other photo IDs, such as a Driver’s License or Health Card.
- Only a Citizenship Certificate is proof of your citizenship in Canada, not your passport.
A Canadian Citizenship Certificate is the only acceptable proof of your citizenship within Canada. It is one of two documents Passport Canada accepts as proof of Canadian Citizenship (the other is a Canadian birth certificate).
A Canadian Passport is a travel document meant to prove your citizenship outside of Canada only. A Citizenship Certificate is meant to prove your citizenship within Canada.
Throughout Canada’s history, there are have been different laws as to how you could inherit Canadian citizenship outside of Canada. Because the laws have changed a lot – as recently as 2009 – the fact that your parents registered your birth does not automatically entitle you to Canadian Citizenship.
If you are a Canadian Citizen, that has to be proved, and that’s what the application process for the certificate is all about.
If you were born outside of Canada to a Canadian Citizen between February 15, 1977 and April 17, 2009, you are most likely a Canadian citizen and should apply for your certificate.
If you were born before February 15, 1977, your situation is complicated. We may be able to tell you whether or not you are a citizen in a consultation.
If you were born on or after April 17, 2009, you are only a Canadian citizen if your Canadian parent was born in Canada or naturalized in Canada before your birth. If your Canadian parent was born abroad, you are not a Canadian citizen.
Why choose us?
- We have submitted more than 500 successful Citizenship Certificate applications including numerous first time applications where the burden or proof is much higher.
- Our citizenship experts have dealt every conceivable type of issue with Citizenship Certificates for Canadians born abroad (including missing documentation) and we know exactly what differentiates a successful application from an application that will be rejected or abandoned.
- IMMIgroup’s success depends on our people. Our firm can only prosper and grow when we continually improve ourselves and the service we perform. However, we recognize that success is not measured only by the number of applications approved. We are measured as much by the way in which we achieve our goals as we are by the actual achievements themselves. We believe that an uncompromising commitment to values and integrity is integral to the goals we hope to achieve.
IMMIgroup’s core values:
- Accuracy and Efficiency
- Customer Service
- Ethical Behaviour and Privacy
Get Proof of Citizenship
Get your First Citizenship Certificate.
We’ll review your application for eligibility and accuracy and file it with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Do you have more questions?
We’re here to help!
96% of reviewers recommend IMMIgroup’s First Citizenship Certificate Service
Ask a question and get a response within one business day.
Do you have more questions?
We’re here to help!