Citizen Certificate Lost

If you lost your Canadian citizen certificate, you can replace it by following the procedure for obtaining a new certificate. If you are outside Canada or in the United States, the relevant office for issuing a new certificate is at your nearest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate. If you are in Canada, the relevant processing office for getting a citizenship card replacement is the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

When a citizen certificate had been lost, it is possible that it can be used for fraudulent activities. It is against the law to hold more than one citizen certificate. Therefore, the first thing you need to do if you lost this important document is to report the loss to the nearest law enforcement office. The local police station is in charge of handling reports for lost citizenship certificates. It is not required to report the loss to Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), but you must submit a copy of the filed police report along with the application for replacement of the lost citizenship certificate. Return all copies of the old certificate to IRCC, even if you found them after you got your new certificate replacement.


Replacing the Lost Citizen Certificate

Losing such an essential document is an unfortunate event, and you may want to replace it with a new one as soon as possible. Although you are filing for a replacement, and not for an original certificate, you still need to follow the same procedure that applies to new proofs of citizenship.

Download, fill out, sign and date the Application for Citizenship Certificate, attach the supporting documents and proof of payment for the $75 processing fee.

You can submit copies of the original supporting documents, but you must provide proof of your name change if you changed your name in the meantime. All documents which are not in English or French must be translated to either of the two languages, and must come along with an affidavit copy of the authorization provided by the translator.

Mail the application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia at: Proof of citizenship, 49 Dorchester Street, Sydney, NS, B1P 5Z2, if you are submitting from Canada, and to your local diplomatic representative office if you are submitting from outside Canada.


Lost Citizen Certificate Replacement Checklist

If you fail to complete the procedure in full, you may have your application returned or refused. To avoid delays, keep track of the checklist below:

  1. You have completed the application form in full.
  2. You have signed and dated the form in the correct way (no earlier than 90 days before IRCC receives it, nor in the future).
  3. You have attached at least one identity document with a photo.
  4. You have returned all old copies of the certificate.
  5. You have included the police report for the lost certificate.
  6. You have enclosed two photographs.
  7. You have enclosed all supporting documents relevant to your situation.
  8. You have included translation of all documents which are not either in English or in French and you have attached an affidavit from the translator.
  9. You have attached the receipt for payment of the processing fee.

Apply for Your Citizenship Certificate